12.22.2014

Week 39 - Happy Xmas Moving week(s) ahead.

(22) Monday

I think I miss posted a date... got a haircut today. I also began a trace on my missing package... it was in the Solomon Is. Nov 17th... should be here by now. I just hope they try to trace it.

Not sure what happened with the moving day... so far it is on hold.

We also are close to pay day. I am dead broke and would love to see my account filled again. I have some really silly book to finish reading.

There was a tiny earthquake this morning about about 9am. Had not felt much of an shake for months and months.

(23) Tuesday 

Xmas is close... I hope we have our paycheck. I am dead broke would be nice to have a buck or two this week.

Finally a miracle happened... my counterpart and a friend scratched the junk paint off the lab floor so we can paint it with the good concrete paint. This is something I wanted done 6 months ago but gave up because I figured it was hopeless to get locals involved in the work... unless it is everything else. Maybe it is because they think it will keep me from leaving the site. Who knows.

10:46 am
WOOHoo we got paid.

4:00 pm
PC people showed up and we watched the real Twin Peaks Movie... not the fake movie (aka tv outtakes I downloaded wrongly 3 times) and it ended with some conclusion but not really.

Had some steaks and chips. Stafford crashed the night.

(24) Wednesday

Xmas eve... not much going on either. It just rained a little. It is hot but not terrible compared to the last few days. I did not go up and paint the lab floor with my counterpart. He seems proud that they finally cleaned the floor and was excited to get me to help him. I said good job and sure I will see you tomorrow and pain the floor on xmas eve, yeah right.

Stafford is going to visit with his host family from his village days. I am debating going to the post office and checking if they can find the package that was mailed over 2 months ago. Every box so far had made it here in one month. I fear my important package is lost, with it goes 4oo bucks in new rayban, polarized dark grey, green front rimmed glasses. I am crying about their loss and the other hundreds of dollars worth of trinkets in the box, mini dehumidifier for my camera... and other cool shit. I asked the lady at the post office to trace it with the customs id I got from the solomon islands... it was there nov 17th... that is a long time to sit and wait to get a hop skip over to Vanuatu.

I suppose I should go check... but I somehow doubt that she actually tried to find it. It would be a miracle if she did. I think asking people to put any effort into a job means that likely it won't be done and you are just disappointed if you expect actually diligence in their labor. So best think nothing at all of their promises and if a small effort has been made then a miracle has happened.

It has now been three weeks and no water. I am getting pretty tired of no water.

11:30am
Just got back from town, it is a total nuthouse zoo... so many people jamming into LCM and other stores, all the registers running with long long lines behind them, as everyone pushes into mobs of people making moving around difficult and annoying. Had to run away from there asap.

(25) Thursday

In review: xmas was really great. We planned on going to Aore island but when we were at the dock we discovered you needed to make reservations the day before which we had not. So we (Laura, Pete, Kate, Bryan and I) went to Beachfront and ate and swam... I had a pretty decent pizza, it showed up after everyone elses came and was mostly eaten but Laura and Pete shared on slice of theirs and would take one back if mine ever showed up.

After eating we swam in the hot pool blue ceramic tiled pool, surrounded by by one round of square dark brown tiles about a square foot, then around this on the deck is this fake wood, or it is so heavily treated and cut oddly with these deep grooves in them, surrounding the outer rim of the pool are little dining areas with thatched roofs. When I entered the pool I walked straight in without stopping hitting the water slightly leaning.

We swam for hours it seemed but then their was the shock and horror of discovering..... A FLOATER!!! yes a Floater, you know what I mean, no NOT a dead body heh. It was probably a remnant of poop (2 in sq) emitted accidentally from one of the little kids playing in the shallower area. This make us leave and find soap and water and shower in the stall out front... Yeah, Shit happens.

After the gross departure and walk across the beach to my (so not to be) place we ran into my counterparts. Heh. I kind of want to avoid that bit. I excused myself quickly because they start talking about work projects that no longer apply to me.

I retreat to my house and Stafford shows up. Stafford is awesome. So we just shoot the shit for a while and I almost fall asleep the pool took out a ton of energy.

Then we started watching some movies. I don't even fully understand what I was watching. Hm. I can't recall the movie title. A mystery at least it was a mystery... makes sense why I was confused. Woman sets up her husband to be the killer of herself, as she disappears, but then gets discovered because no plan is ever perfect. So she executes the plan nearly flawlessly and the media picks up on it and crucifies the husband for the suspected murder but the wife is discovered alive by an ex-boyfriend, who is still obsessed with her... then because the husband finally gets wise to the game plays a card well on a tv interview which the public support shifts from pro angel, pregnant, best selling children's book writer wife, to THE adoring but foolishly cheating on his wife with a college student he's teaching, blundering idiot of a husband. She then kills the ex-stalker, comes out of hiding and makes her husband play along with her sick game or she will do something even more evil than she's done already. It was a fun movie. Strong female character. Jes would like it. I would call that a chick flick and she would roll her eyes frustrated.

A great night... nice food, company and I even got a gift... Xmas 2014.

(26) Friday

A very slow day after xmas... nothing is going on. I took a shower and ate played FTL for a bit. Really really boring but it is only like 9:30. Will report back later.

Thankful that there was rain to fill my buckets since I have no running water. Useful for doing dishes and such.

(27) Saturday

Mostly on Saturday I hung out with Stafford... went into town got a few food item, then we camped at my place and played video games and watched movies, then cooked some steaks. Really nice day. The Fury is a pretty intense movie.

(28) Sunday

Looking really dead. Went into town no one there, everything closed. Back home and internet. Boring day.