12.01.2014

Week 36 - Less and less

Dec 1-7

(01) Monday

Once the ball gets rolling it becomes hard to stop it... mine started the week I arrived in Vanuatu. That unrelenting force was/is the culture of this nation clashing with my own. I am not sure what is best to do at this point. I just don't fit into this place. I am still determined to finish the project on Malo. In part it will be my way of beating the principal at my school at his game. And the other part is I believe it will be a meaningful project that might help a great many people for years and years.

I am curious to see if this disaster relief job has anything to offer that might be interesting. It would be great if there was something that could keep me busy and that would likely reduce the depression I am feeling.

It was a pretty great day... Amanda and I had breakfast then headed over to beachfront for a swim. We played with a kid and his toy boat in the pool... elija not sure if that is correct... and then my friend Daria showed up and she sat and worked on her computer. I think she's got a cold so felt badly for her.

After Beachfront Amanda and I met up with Kate and borrowed a bike (bought off Rich) to then meet up with Mike Stafford to make a run out to Riri blue hole... photos will be posted.





The ride was quite easy... I recall when those bike rides felt long and hard but not anymore... The blue hole was quite busy. Some of the baby docs were there even though they were about to leave. And we swam took videos and goofed off a while. The beautiful thing was Thomas offered us a ride back on his flatbed truck so Amanda being quite spent from the ride, we agreed. Once we were dropped off at Stafford's place I asked to look over his house since it could be mine next year. It was not so bad. I was told it was shoe box. It's longer and narrower than my place but overall it is nice. I could see fixing it up. It really needs a sun shield to reduce the blazing sun from heating it up and to change the bathroom door because it is really poorly executed... but I digress.

After a short visit at Stafford's we went to Bryan and Kate's place rested a minute then I sent Amanda by cab as I biked my ass off home to get ready to meet Mike and company at endblocoltar for his last shells of kava with us before he goes home. I brought mike a bottle of my home brew as a gift. Anyway it was fun and I had a symbolic shell with him as my way of saying sorry.




After kava we started walking to town looking for a cab. There was some dude named Frances from Central America in our group and he was very interested in talking to Amanda. He kind of clung to her like wet shirt. I was a little annoyed at him, but oh well.

After ten minutes we found a couple cabs and decided to eat some chinese food... Mike, Amanda this Frances dude and this German girl who's name escapes me. The waiter at the Chinese place was a bit of a dick but that is ok the food was alright.

We headed out and Mike caught a ride to Sam's house where he was staying and that might be the last time I see him. I felt kind of sad that he is going because he was so in love with this place and I have pretty much no love for it at all yet I am here another year and he is being sent home. Not quite right.

After Mike Hawkins left Amanda, Frances and I walked towards the middle of town. He is staying at the Tropicana. He shared a bit of story about being an aimless traveler and whatever. He made a stab at me about being a gold digger or something stupid to slam me in front of Amanda. Then I shared with him a story or two to make him aware of the fact that as hard as he tried to manipulate and charm Amanda I would be watching out for her and this dude's subtle douchebag advances.

Once home we both went to sleep pretty quickly. It was a long day.

(02) Tuesday
So today we plan to go to Towac near champaign beach. It should be quite the adventure. Last night Amanda seemed to charm Bryan and Kate into joining the party. So the four of us will go.

I hope that it does not rain today or tomorrow. The last time we camped on the beach the fly on the tent was not setup right.... buckets of water flooded the tent. That sucked.

We headed out to Champaign beach and picked Kate up on the way... Bryan Biked up there. I want to try it.

Here are some photos of the beach:




(03) Wednesday
So here is beautiful sunny Vanuatu... A miracle.

Checkout the beach:






(04) Thursday
Amanda and I made some pasta and had Maria over to indulge in some of Amanda's great cooking.

Tonight is my school's going away for break teacher's party. I will make an appearance and then go home and rest.

I have good news finally... I am going to Vila next week and then meeting paraphrased:
I will be meeting the NDMO in Luganville with the Ministry folks. A letter was drafted and will be sent to your school, but I will be in my house at the college until Mike Stafford vacates in January.  

I am excited about trying my new assignment and giving this whole thing a second shot hopefully it works out better and I have a place that is excited about working and making progress. I also hear they might want a builder which as some know is my passion. I love making things, construction of a building from foundation to completion perfect work for me... and setting up the computers and whatnot. Fingers crossed for real meaningful work.

My school had it's going away party and they wanted me there and to speak. I was nervous about both things. But I sat it out and things were ok, and then I made a speech where I thanked them for welcoming me into their school and community and how they should be proud of the accomplishments that the school with everyone working together has made this year... putting in white boards, fixing the computer lab up, installing new screens on all the dorm windows, painting many of the main builds exterior and fixing bathroom. Improving these improves the quality of life for the students. And I said they should be proud of the fact that this year the school ran without shutting down early that we've used the money to fix the shool. Next year with the basketball court repaving the students will have even more to enjoy while at the school. I thanked the principal for helping fund all the computer improvements like 5 new computers, AC and faster internet. They all seemed happy with my speech and I stayed on for a few hours to story. Funny thing is that of the ten or so people I spoke with several Nivan's told me that before I came to that college, no one ever worked on things together, that they saw how I worked with the building maintenance guy (Edward) and how I helped fix uncountable number of: teachers with their laptops, phones, tablets, and PC's... which they said to me made others want to help each other. They never did that before at the school. Seems like a pretty basic thing to me helping people. That might be my only legacy there after they lab decays again but that is a meaningful impact. I even drank 2 shells to make them feel like they showed me a good time.

(05) Friday
Amanda left for Fiji today... I am sad she is going but I made a great friend and a excellent person to visit in Brazil.

I am back to some of the basics with no water in my house it is bucket shower and bucket toilet. I wish the water tank was closer.

Mike and I watched some Twin Peaks in prep for the final Twin-a-thon  viewing with Bryan and Kate tomorrow.

I have a new renter in my condo back home so I am really happy not to be losing 1500.00  per month anymore. That takes a lot of economic pressure off my back.

Watched the sunrise and took a couple photos:



(06) Saturday
The end of an era on Santo... See you Mike Hawkins... best of luck in America.




(07) Sunday
One year ago today I went to mankato with Mary and my car died en route... well a car that I borrowed from my parents on one of the coldest day at that point negative seven below. But instead of going home Mary and I decided to take a ride with a stranger the police chief it turned out from Three rivers and go to Mankato and get the tattoo I had been wanting to get as a symbol for my leaving my status quo work and escaping the matrix for Vanuatu... One year goes fast.

Not sure what is going on today totally... I need to pack my bags for the week in vila.

We concluded the Twin Peaks Marathon at my place and grilled again... one of the last few grill parties before I move into my new place when Mike leave.