3.31.2015

week 53 - G27 in Santo

(30) Monday

I returned from Malo working on secondary project taking the early morning boat. I rushed into the NDMO office and checked in with my counterpart. But there was not much for me to do unfortunately.

I went into town and had a chicken wrap sandwhich. Same as before great. I had been coming down with a cold. I guess that is normal when you get 69 plus Peace Corps cooped up in one place for weeks at time, we handed off our island sicknesses to each other.

I mostly unpacked my stuff, killed the huge cockroaches and took the rotten meat out of my powered off fridge. Smelled like death. Cleaning that was not much of a joy but its done. There are still flies in there I must be missing one piece of rot. Have to give it once over again.

I ran out to the wharf at the request of Anthone to book a boat to Malo for a IT show on the secondary project. It's not like there is a booking agent waiting to place orders. I had to wait for people to come and go and ask each one if they would take us out there. I found one guy -Sandy- that was willing to go. I took his number down and not knowing how much it will cost or anything decided to let the Admins take care of the rest of the details.

(31) Tuesday

I helped a little today with NDMO loading a truck with some food aid going to Vila.

It was light work there were like 40 ni-vans and 3 white people -myself, Daria and Kate both VSA vols. Handing piles of food took only a hour or so but I had to run into town to meet up with Solo/Anthone to give them info about the boat ride out to Nandiutu tomorrow. I hope it works out.

Again pretty tired and sick. I went home to sleep. Again thankful for a powerful speakers to drown out the crying baby next door. I should have blasted music to cover up the murderously loud packs of dogs. I think they murdered one rival dog member. I heard some powerful shrieking at 3am.

Tried to find a replace hard drive for an ancient thinkpad... 15 years old = what is the point fixing it.

Well... not much else is really going on.

April (01) Wednesday

I took the IT vols over to Malo to show them my site. Grace kept making a joke that we spent 3 hours on a boat to visit the site for 20 minutes. Not sure that is all that shocking to me. Beside there was not much to look at it... it is a work site because the work is not done.

In 3-4 months the site will be completed, with book shelves full of new-ish book and a computer lab with N-Computing stations 12 with one server. Not sure if we will have internet or not. That would be nice.

After the long day I went to the hotel the vols were at and swapped some data files. I only took one file.50 shades.

Wish I knew why blogger won't let me upload any new images anymore... I like having picture or two posted. SUCKS.



(02) Thursday

I returned to Malo/Ratua and started organizing a plan for the week. They picked up a 10 Liter bucket of undercoat paint. That was critical. Wish we had that to begin with.

Most of the day was a wash again waiting at the codk for 4-5 hours tends to kill the motivation. But the sunset was beautiful and I watched 50 shades of grey... It was not a terrible movie as some said it would be.

The majority of the data was Tim Harding's data folder of software that I never used or never worked. Hope they have better luck with it.

(03) Friday

After a fantastic breakfast of coffee, whole milk, rolls and an omelette I went over to Malo / Ninditu village and hauled over the 6 person desk and supplies. I patched the holes in the main room and painted the lab with the white undercoat.

It took about 6 hours to get everything done... plan to return tomorrow with a ladder and pole to paint the big room.

When I returned to Ratua they fed me some amazing food and life is great. Best project ever.

I am sure I missed out one some of the fun in Santo with all the volunteers being there... but the fact that I can do actual work something I have been dying for basically for 6 months it is too hard to pass up. Plus the food here on the island is fantastic so yeah I passed on going to a blue hole that I have been to 15 times or so. It is all good. They swam and stuff. I painted and moved furniture. Win win.

(04) Saturday

Planning to return to Ninditu today after breakfast. Then work till midday and then take the afternoon or night boat back to santo.

I promised to meet up with a vol tomorrow so I will keep my promise.

Here if they upload are some photos of the work I did at the lab/library:




(05) Sunday

Returned to Santo / Luganville... now I have no idea what to do. Good news I did not lose my watch. Was worried it was a gonner.

Might try and hit a blue hole today with some Peace Corps ppl.

Boat ride home:


Well my friend did not wait for me so I took the boat ride home for nothing. Guess that means when push comes to shove I can't rely on that person. If someone tried to make me hurry up and abandon my friend I would tell them to go f* himself. When I make a promise I wait for my friends. Is that harsh... maybe I dunno.

There was a lovely BBQ though later and I had fun. One friend of mine was being relentlessly flirt assaulted by americans... pretty funny since she mostly hates Americans. Good luck with that youngfallas.

They have a pool table at HQ now. I love it. Even though they have the tiny tiny pool balls the game was fun. They really need to get chalk and hand chalk too.. How can you play a decent game without that stuff.